Mother Teresa School

Our Patroness

Mother Teresa, better known as Saint Teresa of Calcutta was born on 26th August 1910 as Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu at Skopje, in the Republic of Macedonia. At the young age of eighteen she moved to Ireland to learn English and then shifted to India in 1929 where she lived for most of her life.

In 1950 Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity, a Roman Catholic congregation which had over 4,500 sisters and was active in 133 countries. The congregation manages homes for people dying of HIV/ AIDs/ Leprosy and tuberculosis etc with dispensaries and mobile clinics, children's- and family-counselling programmes, orphanages and schools etc. According to her, Members who takes vows of chastity, poverty and obedience also profess a fourth vow: to give "wholehearted free service to the poorest of the poor". Teresa received a number of honours, including the 1962 Ramon Megasaysay Award for peace and international understanding and the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize. She was awarded with 'Bharat Ratna', the top most civilian award in 1980 by the Govt of India. She was canonised/ recognised by the church as a Saint on 4th September 2016, and the anniversary of her death (5 September) is her Day of Feast.

Teresa was admired by many for her charitable work. In 1950, Mother Teresa received the permission of Vatican for the setting up of the diocesan congregation which would become the 'Missionaries of Charity.' In 1952, with help from others at Calcutta, she converted an abandoned temple into a Home for the Dying free for the poor, and renamed it Kalighat, the Home of the Pure Heart (Nirmal Hriday). Those brought to the home received medical attention and the opportunity to die with dignity in accordance with their respective faiths.

It's in honour and recognition of her services to the Country and the poorest of the poor, the dying and the destitutes, that the Varun Bajpai Education Society has aptly decided to dedicate the School in her name as a mark of respect and obeisance to the Great Soul.